Bayfield, WI * is the drop point for the ferry to romantic Madeline Island, queen of the Apostle Islands in Chequamegon Bay, south shore of Lake Superior.Bayfield has that Cape Cod feel; gifts, galleries, groceries, and gulls. Minus the arrogant east coast snobbery, i.e., noses lifted to the smug level, arrogant accents, and the compulsory upscale casual dress to emulate the impression of New England “old money”.
I did, however, see one Izod polo shirt being worn by a mid-30s woman with a very attractive figure, although I was only staring at the little crocodile, not the statuesque bosom on which it was conveniently mounted.
Popular hotel; typical architecture
Tiring of the tourist trade, we head south to Cable, WI,
so Lynn can enjoy a quilt show as I watch the midway point of a 50.5 mile bicycle race in progress. These boys were serious; shrink wrapped in Del Monte fruit cocktail colors, pointy helmets, aerodynamic drafting. Happened so quickly one could feel the breeze. And smell the maraschino cherries.
The Peleton passes, Le Tour de Cable
Hayward, WI, is home to the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame, a two acre landscaped testimony to beer drinking, tieing flies, and telling lies. The featured artwork, a seventy foot muskie that invites you to climb through its intestines to intimately examine fish dentistry, is too much to resist.
Enjoying fish saliva, up close and personal
Like many attractions, photo-ops abound, as Lynn lands a 300 lb. water-extended polystyrene bluegill.
We’re going to conclude this day having dinner at the original location of Famous Dave’s @ Round Lake, WI. for ribs. With nearly 150 locations nationwide, we haven’t been so honored since we dined at the original KFC in Corbin, KY, in 1998.
* from the Ashland, WI Daily Press, 30Jul2010,
the Bayfield County Sheriff report:
- 8:08 AM, report of fire under vehicle
- 8:11 AM, report of vehicle in ditch
- 8:19 AM, report of large trees down on side of road
- 9:01 AM, report of three y/o female at her dad’s house involved in a 3-wheeler accident and not taken to the hospital until picked up by her mother more than 12 hours later
- 9:07 AM, report of a cat bite
- 9:36 AM, vacuum cleaner found on side of the road
- 9:53 AM, report of signs saying ” NO ATV’s ” at gravel pit being shot by shotguns
How would you liked working the first shift that morning ?
Absolutely certain that it was a crocodile on that magnificent, perfectly shaped breast, I’m now having a second thought….maybe, just maybe, it was a polo pony.
I’m going back to check.