For most Ba T sters, arithmetic preceded interest in cars. Taking a journalist’s view, Math 101, herein is a modest introduction to a favored website, BringATrailer.com . The web identity tacitly implies that described vehicles may be ‘projects’, however that element applies to a minor %age. The logo is hardly subtle.
* Minimal background noise; the genesis, Jan2007, CA, ‘gearhead’ Randy Nonnenberg and colleague, Gentry Underwood, via Texas, the UK, and now CA, shared a common interest in unusual vehicles offered for sale, foreign and domestic. They began to share the addictive passion online, an itching Lyme Rock virus, slow growing.
Knowledgeable, self-assured, neither would ever order french toast in a German restaurant.
Nonnenberg ⬇, Underwood ➘
Noted writer, Rob Sass, seen in his 911, described Ba T in detail, Autoweek, Nov2015. ⬇ His must-read, best seller, “Ran When Parked”, will no doubt lead to a sequel, “Needs a Recharge”.
Fast forward one decade, Ba T has morphed into a seismic game-changer for auctioning interesting, ‘cool’ collectible cars.
Of note, the past 30 days activity; ~late April-May 20, 2017
- Rolling average # of daily offerings 50.31
- total # lots offered, 337
- total # sold 253 (75.07% sellthru)
- total # reserve not met 84 (24.93%)
- total $$, sales $6,545,401.00
- average $ price/vehicle sold $25,871.15
Marketing autos may be arbitrarily divided;
Tier 1 (high end auction venues)
Gooding & Co
Tier 2 (cattle calls)
Russo & Steele
Auction America (RMS subsidiary)
Hey, you paid too much, but we’re on TV !
Tier 3 (low end)
Hemmings (refined pulp)
Local daily newspaper classifieds
Tier 4 (slim to zero, overdone glam rags)
Prior to Ba T, a vacuum existed between tier 2 and 3. No longer applicable, as Ba T, by simple extrapolation (multiply the figures above x 12) is a threat to all four tier’s vulnerability;
- unbiased descriptions
- thorough commentary by the Ba T community
Fair warning: i.e., on occasion, clumsy, clever, clairvoyant, clueless, cliquish, classic, clarifying, clinical, often challenging both spelling and grammar, but always entertaining…..pure fun, free, at your own desk, functioning mute and delete keys at the ready.
“If I overbid, you get that tattoo I promised”
- professional site management; realistic and reasonable fee structure, real time finish, zero snipe or shill bidding.
A well-written critique of the live auction experience can be viewed here, writer unknown. Lengthy, however it encompasses parallel results, voiced by many sellers.
Auctionmania Circus ⬇
Full disclosure: the author has no ownership and/or financial interest/currency in any business entity listed herein. Any resemblance to person/persons, living or deceased, is not coincidental.